What is Elder Care?
Helping older adults maintain their independence in their own home for as long as possible, Elder Care services link older adults with trained volunteers or a staff member to help them with non-medical needs so that they can remain socially connected and active in their community.
Services include, but are not limited to:
- Care Coordination: Our Elder Care Coordinator meets with older adults or their caregivers to help them assess their needs and find the appropriate resources, develop new skills, and develop an action plan.
- Transportation: Volunteer drivers are available to provide transportation to medical appointments, social activities, shopping and others places seniors would like to go. We can provide local rides, as well as, long-distance rides, such as to Mankato or Rochester. We cannot provide regular long-distance rides for dialysis.
- Housekeeping/Chores: We can provide help with housekeeping and chores such as cleaning, vacuuming, laundry, organizing, changing linens, yard work, etc. Services are available for one-time jobs, short-term circumstances or regularly bi-weekly cleaning (The client is responsible for providing cleaning supplies and equipment).
- Friendly Visiting: We can help seniors who feel isolated or alone by providing a volunteer to visit on a regular basis offering warmth, friendship and understanding.
- Telephone Reassurance: Telephone Reassurance gives peace of mind and support to seniors who live alone. The program provides a daily or weekly telephone call (Frequency is up to the client). In addition to checking the client’s well-being, the service helps by reducing loneliness and providing contact with another person.
Please note that we are not able to help with medical or personal care.
How to Register
Before services can begin, clients must enroll in the program by meeting with the Elder Care Coordinator or another representative from Interfaith Caregivers. The enrollment process includes a home visit, completing a few simple forms, and discussing your needs and wishes. There is no cost to enroll. Family members are more than welcome to meet and visit with us as well.